The following history is a portion of my 20 years of research on the Goodman family, combined with information my mother, Lurlie G. (Hargraves) Buttery, had gathered prior to that.
The earliest Goodman ancestor that I have been able to document is John Goodman. He was born about 1771. He died in 1851 in Smyth Co., VA. His will was written on January 10, 1850, a codicil was added on March 11, 1850, and it was probated on March 20, 1851.
John Goodman was probably the son of Jacob Goodman. Jacob Goodman was born about 1745 and died between 1806 and 1808 in Washington Co., VA. He received a treasury warrant for 300 acres of land in Washington Co., VA on September 1, 1785. A survey for Jacob Goodman on October 16, 1787 is recorded in Washington Co., VA containing 84 acres of land. The treasury warrant for this land was issued on September 14, 1792.
Jacob Goodman's wife may have been Catherine Colley, as there is a reference to Catherine, wife of Jacob Goodman and daughter of John Colley, in Augusta Co., VA in 1762.
Four of Jacob Goodman's children have been documented:
A) Jacob Goodman, Jr., who was married to Rebecca Cole on February 24, 1791 in Washington Co., VA by Jacob Zink. Jacob and Rebecca moved to Hardin Co., KY prior to 1825.
B) Philip Goodman, who was married to Elizabeth Pitcher in 1793 in Washington Co., VA by Charles Cummings. Philip and Elizabeth moved to Hardin Co., KY prior to 1820. The children of Philip Goodman and Elizabeth Pitcher are: 1) Susannah Goodman Harrington, 2) James S. Goodman, 3) Daniel Goodman, 4) William R. Goodman, 5) Mary Goodman Harrington, 6) Malora Goodman Stiles, 7) Abner Goodman, 8) Thomas Goodman, 9) Jacob Goodman, and 10) Ryan Goodman.
C) George Goodman, who was born about 1775 and died about 1833 in Washington Co., VA. His will was written on May 25, 1833 and it was probated on January 27, 1834. His wife was named Susan or Susannah. The children of George and Susannah Goodman are:
D) Catherine Goodman, who married William Sitzer. Catherine and William moved to Sullivan Co., TN prior to 1808.
These four children are proven through two deeds in Washington Co., VA. The first deed names Jacob Goodman and George Goodman of Washington Co., VA, and Catherine Sitzer, wife of William Sitzer, of Sullivan Co., TN as children of Jacob Goodman, deceased, and is dated October 15, 1808. The second deed names Philip Goodman of Hardin Co., KY and George Goodman as sons of Jacob Goodman, deceased, and is dated November 7, 1820. In these deeds, Jacob, Catherine, and Philip sell their interest in their father's land to their brother, George.
John Goodman's wife was named Elizabeth. Her maiden name has not yet been proven. The children of John and Elizabeth Goodman are:
1) Jacob Goodman, born about 1791 and died prior to 1850.
2) Fredrick Goodman, born about 1793 and died prior to 1850. He was married to Christina Cullop on March 3, 1816 in Washington Co., VA by John Jones, Jr.
3) John Goodman, Jr., born about 1795 in Pennsylvania. His wife was named Mary. John Jr. and Mary "Polly" Goodman were the parents of:
4) George Goodman, born about 1797 in Virginia and died September 23, 1858 in Smyth Co., VA. He was married to Rachel Wassum on January 29, 1818 in Washington Co., VA by John Jones, Jr. Rachel was born about 1799 and died June 21, 1883 in Smyth Co., VA. She was the daughter of Nicholas and Eliza Wassum. George Goodman and Rachel Wassum were the parents of:
5) Mary Goodman, born about 1799 in Virginia and died October 30, 1875 in Chilhowie, Smyth Co., VA. She was married to Jacob Wassum on January 6, 1820 in Washington Co., VA by John Jones, Jr. Jacob was the son of Nicholas and Eliza Wassum. Mary Goodman and Jacob Wassum were the parents of:
6) Joseph Goodman, born about 1801 in Virginia. He married Susannah (Susan) Wolfe. Susan was born October 21, 1797 and died after 1850. She was the daughter of Lawrence Wolfe and Elizabeth Snider. (Find out more about the Wolfe family history here.) On January 19, 1830, Joseph Goodman sold several articles to his father-in-law, Lawrence Wolfe, as recorded in a bill of sale found in Washington Co., VA. Click here for the descendants of Joseph Goodman and Susan Wolfe.
7) Elizabeth Goodman, born about 1803 in Virginia. She married Abraham Fox on August 27, 1832 in Smyth Co., VA. Elizabeth Goodman and Abraham Fox were the parents of:
8) Peter Goodman, born about 1805 in Virginia. His wife was named Frances. Peter and Frances Goodman moved to Sullivan Co., TN. Peter and Frances Goodman were the parents of:
9) David Goodman, born October 15, 1808 in Virginia and died June 21, 1881 in Smyth Co., VA. His wife was named Melinda. David and Melinda Goodman were the parents of:
10) Catherine Goodman, born about 1810. She married Abraham Neff on March 16, 1842 in Smyth Co., VA.
11) Rachel Goodman, born about 1815 in Virginia. She married Wayman Wolfe on June 22, 1841 in Smyth Co., VA. Wayman was born about 1819 in Virginia and died in 1864 in Knoxville, Knox Co., TN. He was the son of Michael and Peggy Wolfe. (Find out more about the Wolfe family history here.) Click here for the descendants of Rachel Goodman and Wayman Wolfe.
12) Adam Goodman, born about 1819. He married Margaret Wassum on September 2, 1834 in Smyth Co., VA. Margaret was the daughter of Nicholas and Eliza Wassum. Adam and Margaret Goodman moved to Sullivan Co., TN. Adam Goodman and Margaret Wassum were the parents of: